A Quilt for Holly

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger view

I have a new great-niece. Holly was born in December and I was so excited to design and stitch a quilt just for her. Holly’s mom, Sarah, indicated that she liked the colors green, pink and brown…so I searched until I found just the right color combination. The result, I think, is a very feminine baby quilt for a beautiful little girl!

The size of this quilt is 47″ X 40.5″ – a little larger than most baby quilts, but small enough for a baby and big enough for her to grow into. The block fabric is a combination of Aviary by 3 Sisters for Moda and  Back Porch Bouquet by Bate and Taylor for Maywood Studios. I used a Kona Cotton solid in Deep Rose to frame each block and give it a little “pop” off the cream sashing. Also, for the first time, I made cornerstones in my sashing which I think gives the quilt a little whimsy. I pieced the border using left over scraps of the main fabric and bound it with a dainty pink stripe fabric by Anna Griffin for Windham Fabrics.

The backing on this quilt is probably my most favorite to date. I used a Minky dot in off white which is absolutely fabulous. It is silky and so very, very soft – perfect for a baby. You can see all the Minky fabrics here. I used a silk batting – warm but light.

I worried about quilting this one because everyone told me that the Minky had a lot of stretch to it. So I pinned the heck out of it, took a deep breath and went to it. I quilted this with straight vertical lines in the sashing, then quilted around the inside of each block. The result is a soft, drapey quilt, perfect for snuggling!

This weekend Holly and her mom and dad (Sarah and Nate) came up for a visit and I got to give Holly her quilt in person.

Sweet dreams, Holly!

• Sandra on February 26, 2011 at 13:31

What a lovely post, and so much work to make a quilt. I didn’t understand a word of the process (not crafty at all here) but it’s obviously a high quality piece, made lovingly. And what a beauty Holly is.

• Laura on February 26, 2011 at 13:34

What a gorgeous quilt for an equally gorgeous baby! Beautiful work, Wendy.

• Tui on February 26, 2011 at 14:03

Love the colours, the backing, the pattern and the baby snuggled into it! Well done, Auntie, well done indeed.

• Wendy on February 26, 2011 at 14:46

Sandra: LOL – thanks for dropping by…and for your kind comments!

Laura: Thanks, friend 🙂

Tui: Thank you!! Can’t wait to see YOUR quilt!!

1. Holly is a lucky little girl to have such a gorgeous quilt! I love minky fabrics!

• Staci on February 26, 2011 at 17:31

That is so beautiful!!! I love that you made this for her..she’ll treasure it always!

2. wendy, that quilt is so beautiful!! i love the colors–very lily pulitzer–and the backing looks soft and snuggly. i’m always super impressed with people who are crafty and this quilt is just great. how long did it take you to make this? i’m sure that baby Holly will love treasure this blanket!

• Melissa on February 26, 2011 at 18:05

Oh, that first photo just about melted my heart.

The quilt is beautiful too (as is Holly). Like Sandra, I don’t know the first thing about quilting (wish I did) but it is obvious that a lot of love went into it.

• Mom on February 26, 2011 at 18:50

This one takes my breath away, Wendy! Beautiful and oh, so feminine! The backing is so cool!!! A gorgeous lifetime gift to treasure.

• Kailana on February 26, 2011 at 19:33

I still have the quilts I was given when I was a baby. They are a great thing to hold on to over the years. 🙂

3. Holly looks so happy wrapped in her beautiful quilt!

• Teddy on February 26, 2011 at 21:20

Holly is such a lucky baby! What a beautiful quilt!

• Kathleen on February 26, 2011 at 22:35

Beautiful baby and beautiful quilt!

4. Isn’t she just gorgeous? I love the colors of this quilt…I wish I was able to make things like this! Thanks for sharing!

• Elisabeth on February 27, 2011 at 07:07

It is beautiful, I need to learn how to quilt!

• zibilee on February 27, 2011 at 18:11

I love, love, love this quilt, and that baby is indeed adorable! I am so glad that you shared this with us!

• Amused on February 27, 2011 at 19:45

What a beautiful quilt for such an adorable little girl!

• Wendy on February 28, 2011 at 08:30

Kathy: The minky is so luxurious and soft!! Perfect for a baby.

Staci: Thank you! It was fun to make 🙂

Nat: thank you so much! Baby quilts don’t take too long to make because they are small – this one I did over three weekends. Pretty much I cut the fabric in one weekend, pieced it the second weekend, and quilted it the third.

Melissa: I love that first photo of Holly too – it is just so darn cute! Thanks for your kind words 🙂

Mom: Thanks! Glad you love it!

Kailana: I agree – they are great to have to pass down from generation to generation too.

• Wendy on February 28, 2011 at 08:32

Avis: She is such an easy going and happy baby!

Teddy: Thank you!

Kathleen: Thanks!

Samantha: Quilts are not that hard to make – just a bit time consuming! Glad you liked this one 🙂

Elisabeth: Oh, do learn! It is so much fun!

Heather: Thank you for your kind comment!! Glad you enjoy me sharing these!

Amused: Thank you!

• Anna on March 1, 2011 at 10:06

She is so adorable, and that quilt is beautiful!

5. Oh what a beautiful quilt and a wonderful gift of love. That photo of Holly sleeping is truly precious!!

• Linda on March 4, 2011 at 07:39

What an excellent Auntie you are! That quilt is destined to end up in that sweet child’s treasure chest to be taken out and fondled years and years from now.

• Trish on March 5, 2011 at 05:53

Wendy–it’s simply gorgeous!! I love the pink, green, brown combos and you’re right about the Kona pink making everything pop. I’m working on a quilt top now for baby girl and maybe I’ll have to look into the minky–just looks too soft and cuddly.

Also, congratulations on the new addition!

• Wendy on March 5, 2011 at 18:05

Anna: Thank you so much!

Suzi: That is my favorite photo of Holly – she really is a treasure! Thanks for your kind words 🙂

Linda: I hope so! Thanks for stopping by!

Trish: Coming from you that means a lot because I find your quilts gorgeous!! I can’t wait to see your new quilt 🙂 I loved working with the Minky…it IS stretchy, but if you handle it carefully and pin the heck out of it before quilting, it stitches like a dream!

6. A gorgeous quilt for a beautiful little baby girl. What a lovely gift, Wendy! I’m sure it will be cherished for many, many years. I love the photos of Holly, especially the one in which she’s sleeping. Priceless!

• Wendy on March 7, 2011 at 08:52

Les: I love that photo of Holly sleeping too – she is such a doll, a really content little baby! Thanks for your kind words about the quilt 🙂

• Linda Sheehan on March 9, 2011 at 12:11

What an absolute labor of love! It’s exquisite & so is the baby.

• Wendy on March 13, 2011 at 15:22

Linda S: Thank you so much!!!

• Carolyn on February 14, 2012 at 13:32

I love this quilt.. I was wondering what pattern you used. I would love to try to make one close to this.

• Wendy on February 14, 2012 at 17:44

Carolyn: I did not use a pattern for this one – I designed it myself. It is a pretty simple design, though…I simply cut squares of the main fabric (I don’t remember now what size…but I think a charm pack would work well) and then did a double border for each square. I sashed the blocks and put in cornerstones…then did a scrappy-pieced outer border. The back is Minky … which makes it really soft and cuddly. Wish I could give you more detailed instructions!!!