Kaffe Fassett Bohemian-Style Quilt

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger view

The other day I sifted through my quilting works in progress and discovered THREE finished tops and backs, just waiting to be quilted. So I dug them out, sewed bindings and labels for each, made a trip to the quilt store for batting, and decided to get them done.

The first quilt in the group was one I actually pieced while at my sister’s house last fall. I love Kaffe Fassett – I love his quilt designs, I adore his bright and bold fabrics, and I love the silky feel and quality of the fabrics produced by Westminster Fabrics. I decided to call this quilt “Bohemian-style” because of its bright, unconventional fabrics and silky feel…for some reason it reminds me of Romanian gypsy fabric.

This quilt is very, very simple -but the bold fabrics are what make it pop. Each “block” is a 10″ square of fabric stitched together in a random order. The quilt is sized to be a comfortable lap quilt: 53″ X 53″. The back is mostly one piece of fabric, but I had some leftover 10.5″ blocks that I pieced in a strip across the middle. The batting is silk – which I love for its soft drape and warmth.  The binding is a Kaffe stripe in purple and magenta colors. I decided to do a meandering, stipple type quilting.

I really love this quilt – it is a cheerful, very soft blanket-type quilt that will add color to any room it is in.

As with all my quilts, I made a label for the back…

Now, I just need to get to those other projects!!!

• Flo on June 12, 2011 at 11:45

I also love Kaffe Fassett & this quilt is gorgeous !! You can be proud of your work.

Have a nice week 🙂

1. It’s beautiful – I love the bright colors too.

• pburt on June 12, 2011 at 11:54

Love those quilts – such great colors together.

A fellow fabric fondler who stopped quilting some years ago and doesn’t want to know the number of tops she has stored away.

• Amy on June 12, 2011 at 12:43

Oh my, what a gorgeous quilt! I love the bright colors and the predominance of red, my favorite color! Bohemian-style is a great name as it certainly has that flair. Whenever I hear the song title Bohemian Rhapsody I think of bright colored wildflowers, something like this quilt!

• Trish on June 12, 2011 at 12:57

It’s beautiful Wendy! The colors are gorgeous and seem perfect for summer–like ripe fruit. I haven’t heard anything about silk batting so I’ll be looking into it. You did the stippling on your machine? I’m still a little afraid to do free motion quilt but want to work up to it sometime! Also love your labels–my first quilt I stitched my name and date into the bottom but haven’t done it with any of the others. Need to fix that!

Thank you for sharing! Can’t wait to see more.

2. Oh wow these are really lovely photos of a very lovely piece of work. I love the color combinations.

• Staci on June 12, 2011 at 15:33

These are absolutely gorgeous…I love your determination to get these done!!

3. Those are absolutely gorgeous! The colors are so vibrant and bright. I love that you include a label on each one. Having all that info will be perfect when the time comes to pass them along.

• Amused on June 12, 2011 at 17:26

Wow, I absolutely love the colors on these! I am a big fan of jewel tones so these ones really catch my eye!

• Wendy on June 13, 2011 at 07:04

Flo: Thank you!

Kathy: I am such a sucker for bold and bright 🙂

pburt: Thanks for stopping by – and maybe this will inspire you to finish those quilts 🙂

Amy: Exactly! I always have a hard time naming quilts…but this one just screamed Bohemian!!

Trish: Oh, silk batting is wonderful, albeit expensive. It is really warm, but the best part is its drape. For fabric that has a super soft hand (like Kaffe’s fabric) it is perfect. Yes, I did the quilting myself…I recommend that you practice on a scrap (make a quilt sandwich) … it takes some getting used to, to feel comfortable with free motion…but it is super fast to quilt this way.

Pam: Thank you so much!

Staci: Thank you! I hate unfinished projects… it was just time!

Jenna: A very wise older women told me I should always put a label on every quilt – and I’ve tried to do that. I imagine someday when I am long gone, someone reading that label 🙂

Amused: Kaffe Fassett does jewel tones exceedingly well!

4. Those are beautiful! The colors are so vibrant and wonderful. I woud love to learn how to make these one day.

5. These are gorgeous. I love those brights colors!

6. I love Kaffe Fassett fabrics! I think that quilt looks perfect sitting in that chair on the porch. All that is needed is a glass of sweet tea and a good book. Beautiful quilt!

• Marie on June 13, 2011 at 17:01

Awesome quilt! The colours are just stunning. Keep up the good work.

7. This is a beautiful quilt. I love it!!! 🙂

• Wendy on June 20, 2011 at 08:14

Heather: You could totally make a quilt like this – I actually bought pre-cut 10.5″ squares…then laid them out in a pattern that was pleasing to my eye and stitched them together. The whole top came together in less than a day. Go for it!!!

Kathleen: Thank you!

Beth: Kaffe’s colors are so vibrant, aren’t they? Yes, a book, some tea and a quilt – doesn’t get better than that!

Marie: Thank you!

Artsy: Thank you so much!

• Kelli on June 28, 2011 at 20:03

Are they for sale?

• Wendy on July 10, 2011 at 19:57

Kelli: I haven’t sold any of the quilts I’ve made as they have mostly been for family and friends…and I have kept a couple for myself as well. I have only been quilting for 2.5 years…and so I don’t have the confidence to make quilts to sell!!!