Star Friendship Quilt

The Internet can be a place of great joy. I have discovered that real friendship can be found there. Years ago, when I first was discovering book blogs and reading challenges, I stumbled across a blog that immediately resonated with me. The blogger, a woman named Laura who lived a good 3000 miles away from me, was loving the books that I loved (and disliking the books I disliked). She was to very quickly become my “bookie soul-mate” – a reader whose thoughts about books paralleled my own. We later went on to become a member of a private Library Thing group where I learned more about my new found friend. And just a couple of years ago, a group of us got together in New England and there was Laura. I was not surprised that our sense of humor meshed perfectly, and our connection was deeper than just our shared love of literature. I have been thinking of making a quilt for Laura for some time…and then it came to me to make a pair of quilts – one for her and one for me, similar but different, a shared quilt of sorts that when used would make us think of each other, even though the miles separate us. Today I am showing you Laura’s quilt – mine is not quite done yet (my unexpected trip back to New Hampshire in April set me back just a bit).

I love Denise Schmidt’s fabrics…and I thought stars would be the perfect way to enhance the beauty of Schmidt’s latest collection Hope Valley.

I made each star block approximately 6.75″ square (finished), sashed them with Kona white, and placed cornerstones of the main fabric in the horizontal sashing. I decided to give the quilt a scrappy feel by doing a pieced border. The finished size of this quilt is 50″ X 51″.

For the back, I used some extra star blocks (one in each colorway) and pieced them together into a large stripe. I then used big pieces of one of the main fabrics and attached them to the top and bottom of the stripe. I crafted a label and fixed it to the bottom corner of the back.

The hardest part of every quilt for me is the actual quilting. I always wrestle with what color thread to use and what design to quilt. For this quilt, I decided to go with white thread since there is a large amount of white in the quilt. And then I took a deep breath and decided to finally try a free-motion meandering stipple design which I had never done before. The result was a pleasant surprise!

The binding on this quilt uses a striped fabric from the same line.

I hope Laura will enjoy this quilt as much as I enjoyed making it!

**All photos in this post are “clickable” to enjoy a larger view

Stay tuned for the companion piece to this quilt – I hope to have it done before summer fades to fall!!

• Avaland on June 19, 2011 at 08:12

Anyone who was there in the Berkshires could see the connection the two of you had! Lucky Laura!

I think this is one of your best quilts, Wendy! And the idea of a pair of quilts is lovely!

• Wendy on June 19, 2011 at 08:16

Lois: *smiles* Thank you!! I really fell in love with this one as it came together 🙂

1. I’m positive Laura is going to love that quilt! It’s going to remind her of you all the time.

• Tui on June 19, 2011 at 08:38

This is a real beaut, Wendy. I know she will love it!

• Wendy on June 19, 2011 at 09:18

Thanks Kathy and Tui!

2. What a great story! I agree with the others: who could not love such a beautiful quilt and such a gift from the heart?

3. That is such a touching story! the friendship stars are the perfect star pattern for a friendship quilt. I am in awe of your talent! Just think of all the books that will be read under that beautiful quilt!

4. Wow, what a great story! The quilt is just fantastic. How lovely!

• Kay on June 19, 2011 at 12:24

I agree that this is one of my favorites of all the quilts you’ve shown us. I just love it. I know that your friend will love it too and such a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it with us, Wendy!

• Anna on June 19, 2011 at 12:44

The quilt is beautiful! I’m sure she will love it!

• pburt on June 19, 2011 at 13:02

It is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• Linda on June 19, 2011 at 15:44

You two sure are a pair! And I love the idea of companion quilts. Beautiful work, Wendy. Three cheers for friendship, however it comes about!

• Staci on June 19, 2011 at 16:31

This quilt is absolutely gorgeous and I loved that connection story!!

• Amused on June 19, 2011 at 17:28

What a sweet post about friendship in blogging and such a beautiful quilt!

5. That is just beautiful! I also have made a lot of great friends on the internet through book blogging, and feel that my life is enriched by the people I have met through my hobby. Glad you found someone like Laura!

• Wendy on June 20, 2011 at 07:40

Jill (Rhapsody): Thank you so much 🙂

Beth: I agree that stars are great for a friendship quilt – and I just love the way they look (although they are very labor intensive to make!). Thank you!

Pam: Thank you so much 🙂

Kay: It is one of my favorites so far too – and because of the story behind it, it was one of my favorites to make. Thank you!

Anna: Thanks!

pBurt: Thank you for the kind words!

Linda: LOL – I agree – three cheers for friendship!!

Staci: Thanks for your kind words!

Amused: I thought it was a story worth sharing 🙂 Thank you!

Heather: I agree – there are some wonderful connections out there – bonds which enrich our lives. I’m glad I found Laura too 🙂

6. Beautiful quilt! Did you quilt it using a long arm machine or sewing machine? I stopped making anything larger than lap-size a few years ago because hand-quilting takes too long, and wrestling with the quilt on my machine is just too difficult. I have some unquilted tops, though, and am thinking that I really must go back and finish them somehow!

I’m sure Laura is definitely going to enjoy this quilt for many years to come.

• Wendy on June 20, 2011 at 17:46

Thank you, Valerie! I quilted this one on my machine and used free motion…which is still a bit of a challenge for me, but I am getting better at it. I take my large quilts to a lady near me who has a long-arm machine because I find it very cumbersome to quilt the really big quilts on my Janome. Good luck with your unfinished quilts – sometimes just making up your mind and going for it is the best decision 🙂

• beth on June 22, 2011 at 06:03

What a great post about friendship! The quilt is beautiful!

• Lisa on July 5, 2011 at 08:04

this is lovely! I am in the midst of a star quilt right now for a friend and I love the little extra squares you’ve put in the sashing … I had been thinking of using sashing, with little squares, but smaller, like a mini-9 patch and now I think I have a much better idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Wendy on July 6, 2011 at 07:21

Beth: Thank you so much!

Lisa: I have become addicted to putting cornerstones in sashing lately! Glad you like the effect 🙂 And thank you for your kind words (hope you’ll come back with a link to your quilt when you’re done!!)

7. A very late comment, but I had to write and say that I absolutely love this quilt! The colors and design are magnificent. What a lovely gift of love and friendship. Laura is truly blessed, as are all of us, to have such a good friend!

• Wendy on August 2, 2011 at 06:43

Thank you, Les!!!! I feel very blessed too 🙂 *hugs*

• Mona Norton on February 5, 2013 at 16:14

I was wondering is there a pattern for this start quilt ?

I would love to make one but I would need the pattern .

• Cassie Nielsen on March 9, 2013 at 14:21

The quilt is beautiful! Just think of all the books that will be read under that beautiful quilt! I agree that this is one of my favorites of all the quilts you’ve shown us.