Orange July will be here very, very soon (if you don’t know what this is, then go check out the details over on Jill’s blog), and I need to make some tough decisions.
In going through my stacks of unread books, I have found more Orange books than I could possibly read in one month. So, I’m being a bit selective and looking at more recent books that have won or been nominated.
Here is what I am thinking about reading in July (starred items are MUST reads which may be the only ones I manage to read…but, we’ll see):
- The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna (2011 Short List)
- Annabel by Kathleen Winter (2011 Short List)
- The Wilderness by Samantha Harvey (2009 Short List)
- *Jamrach’s Menagerie by Carol Birch (2011 Long List)
- *The Long Song by Andrea Levy (2010 Long List)
- *The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’s Wives by Lola Shoneyin (2011 Long List)
- *The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht (2011 Winner)
- The Personal History of Rachel Dupree by Ann Weisgarber (2009 Long List AND 2009 Winner of Orange Award for New Writers)
- The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (2010 Winner)
- *Swamplandia by Karen Russell (2011 Long List)
- The Monsters of Templeton, by Lauren Groff (2008 Short List for New Writers Award)
- The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer (2011 Long List)
- This Is How by M. J. Hyland (2010 Long List)
- Scottsboro by Ellen Feldman (2009 Short List)
Are you joining Orange July? If so, what is on YOUR must read list?