Sew You Wanna Quilt?

Those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile have probably noticed more and more posts about quilting these days. It has become a passion for me – something that relaxes me, but also something that frees that creative part of myself.

Many people have left comments that they wish they could make a quilt – and I have always said, “Go for it. It is not that hard.”

Well, I’ve decided to promote this craft over the next few weeks (maybe months) by offering a series of posts about beginning quilting. I am not an expert. I am largely self taught. I haunt the quilting blogs, the Flickr groups and my local quilt stores. What I have learned is that you do not need to be intimidated by this art. You just need the desire to jump in with both feet and not be fearful. You need to be willing to take a few risks because that is how you learn. You need to let go of perfection and realize that mistakes often make a simple quilt more beautiful. You need to trust your creative process.

You also need to have some basic information which is what this series, I hope, will give you.

My hope is that I can inspire you to make a quilt, or a table runner, or a simple wall hanging. Quilting is not hard (really!). Anyone who wants to do it, can do it. I promise!

So, in the next few weeks watch for the Sew You Wanna Quilt series where I will be posting about the Tools of the Trade, Creating a Space, Fabric Selection (and hoarding!), Cutting Tips, Piecing and Sewing Skills, Quilting from Patterns (or not), Inspiration (including my favorite quilting books), Sewing your First Quilt, the process of Quilting a Quilt, and Finishing a Quilt.

1. LOL…after I saw your last post on quilts, I thought “I wish I could do that.” You read my mind!

• Dana on August 10, 2011 at 02:52

I am VERY excited!

2. Oh, I like this, and can’t wait to check it out! This might really get me motivated to try quilting, which is something I’ve always wanted to do! Thanks for this!

• Wendy on August 10, 2011 at 07:45

Jill: LOL – hope you’ll enjoy the series…and go on to make something beautiful 🙂

Dana: Yay!

Heather: You’re very welcome – and I hope you will enjoy the posts!

3. Yay! Can’t wait to read your posts!

4. FYI Have you heard of the “Wantobe Quilter Campaign”? Visit http://stashmanicure.blogspot.com/ …they are having giveaways for people who want to start quilting but don’t have the equipment and fabrics. I am a quilter already, and I have no connection with stashmanicure, but I am trying to spread the word to people who want to quilt but don’t have the tools. Quilting is such a life/sanity saver for me and I love to share it with others!

• Wendy on August 10, 2011 at 09:55

Jill (Rhapsody) – Glad to have you join me 🙂

Julie: THANK YOU for that link! There is so much great stuff on the Internet – anything that gets people quilting is great…I agree with your life/sanity saver comment 🙂

• Trish on August 11, 2011 at 10:03

Just posted about this Wendy. SO excited to see what you have in store!!

• Amy on August 11, 2011 at 15:19

Oh wow! Thank you so much! I have always wanted to learn to quilt. I read your quilt posts and look at the beautiful quilts you make and wish I could, too!

I’m looking forward to your posts!

5. I’m so excited about this!!!! I’ve been wanting to learn how to quilt for what seems like forever now. Thanks!

• Elise on August 12, 2011 at 09:46

The blogging world is so small! It never ceases to amaze me.

Trish posted about your upcoming series and I saw on her blog, because Trish is my cousin. And I recognized your screenname from a comment you left on one of my Flickr posts for the Summer Sampler Series. How funny/fun! I can’t wait to follow along with your series!

• Wendy on August 12, 2011 at 10:49

Trish: Many thanks for spreading the word!

Amy: I am so glad you’ll be participating! Quilting is so wonderful – I think everyone should do it 🙂

Samantha: You’re welcome – I hope it will be fun!

Elise: The blogging world is definitely “small” despite the hundreds of blogs out there! I think like-minded people tend to drift together naturally 🙂 I adore Trish’s blog! My hope is that this series will bring those intimidated by the quilting process toward an understanding that it is fun and accessible – and anyone can do it! I hope some people who are already quilting will also find some good information and links too (and if I miss something – which I am sure I will – I hope you and other quilters will drop in and leave their own comments and links!)

By the way, everyone, the first post in the series is now UP!