Good morning and welcome to one of the best book blogging events EVER – Dewey’s 24 Hour Read-a-Thon – where readers and bloggers spend 24 hours reading, blogging, snacking, and trying to stay awake.
I will be posting updates here every two hours – for those of you not interested or not participating, my apologies for the glut of posts which will show up on your feeds over the next 20 hours or so.
Check out this post to see what is in my stacks to choose from over the course of the next 24 hours. Although I picked out some books, I won’t necessarily limit myself to these choices – if I feel like reading something NOT in my prepared stack, I have plenty of other books from which to pick!
I have a bunch of snacks on hand to munch on including:
- Dove caramel filled chocolates
- Chex Mix
- Cheese (2 different types) with multi-grain crackers
- Assorted herbal teas with honey
- Lemonade, Gatorade, and Juices
- Carrot Sticks
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
For lunch I have some mixed bean and ham soup that I made yesterday (along with some good bread), and I have a pot roast with veggies cooking in the slow cooker for dinner.
So, I will not go hungry today!
Right now, I’m still in my jammies. But I have decided that after taking a shower a little later, that I am just going to wear my comfy sweats with a long-sleeve t-shirt and wool socks all day long. I’m on the couch with one of my quilts, the two cats and Raven (it is a big couch, thankfully) – and Kip is still sound asleep. It is pitch dark out and a little while ago a pack of coyotes was yipping and howling in the valley below our house.
We’ve been asked to complete an introductory meme and answer the following questions:
- Where are you reading from today? Northern California
- Three random facts about me… 1) I am the youngest of three sisters, 2) My favorite color changes all the time – today it is orange, 3) I wanted to be Jane Goodall when I was a kid and a few years ago I was lucky enough to meet her in person at the Oakland Zoo (she drew a smiley face on my hand)
- How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? 12 – but I will be lucky to finish 3
- Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? I want to make it through hour 20
- If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time? Have fun, take lots of stretch breaks, don’t forget to eat and hydrate, do some of the mini-challenges and get out and visit other readers!
Okay – enough chit-chat. I’m starting the day with The Marriage Artist by Andrew Winer which looks wonderful. I’ll be checking back in with all of you in two hours (around 7:00 am PST). See you then!