Salvage the Bones Wins the National Book Award

I don’t usually make these kinds of announcements on my blog because, well, most of the time everyone knows the results of an award before I do for some reason.

BUT, I was so excited to see that Jesmyn Ward took the top award for fiction this year at the National Book Awards – and not just because she is a young, uber talented author, but because I read her book earlier this year and was blown away by it (read my review).

I have not yet read all the books short listed in the fiction category, but I had hoped that Ward would win because her novel is original, raw and so beautifully written that it is unforgettable. You’ll see me gushing more about this book because it will undoubtedly be on my Best Books of 2011 list.

Have you read Salvage the Bones yet? If so, what did you think? If not, is it in your to-be-read stack?

Shop Indie Bookstores

• Vasilly on November 17, 2011 at 09:08

I haven’t read Salvage the Bones yet! It’s in my tbr pile now. I just need to get to it.

• Laura on November 17, 2011 at 09:09

I must not have paid close attention earlier in the year. Now that I know you were blown away by this book, onto the wish list it goes!

1. I haven’t read it yet, but I heard Ward speak and had the chance to chat with her at SIBA and she just blew me away. I’m excited about the book.

• Lisamm on November 17, 2011 at 14:23

Isn’t it so exciting!!?? I was so happy to hear she won!

2. I thought of you you you when I read the news.

I love it, too. Am looking for time to finish it, to say just how and why But I will never be as eloquent as you were about this book.

• Serena on November 18, 2011 at 12:11

I haven’t read this, but have heard it is good, but right now I’m not the person to read this. I cannot wait to read the poetry winner, Nikky Finney, Head Off & Split

• Serena on November 18, 2011 at 12:12

but I was sad Yusef Komunyakaa’s book didn’t win.

• Wendy on December 4, 2011 at 18:44

Vasilly: Oh, I hope you’ll read it!

Laura: This is SUCH a powerful book!

Kathy: I would love to hear her speak – luck you!

Lisa: Thanks to you, I read this one!! 🙂

Beth: Aw, you are too kind 🙂

Serena: It is a tough read, but so worth it. I have not read Komunyakaa’s book – sounds like I should