Mailbox Monday – December 5, 2011

Welcome to this week’s edition of Mailbox Monday.

This month Mailbox Monday is being hosted by Jenny Q at Let Them Read Books. Check out her blog today to get links to other readers’ mailboxes.

Check the dedicated blog for the meme to see the complete tour schedule in the left hand sidebar.

Here is what arrived at my house this week:

Erin from WW Norton sent me a hard copy edition of White Truffles in Winter by N.M. Kelby (released November 2011). The publisher writes: “This novel imagines the world of the remarkable French chef Auguste Escoffier (1846-1935), who changed how we eat through his legendary restaurants at the Savoy and the Ritz. A man of contradictions—kind yet imperious, food-obsessed yet rarely hungry—Escoffier was also torn between two women: the famous, beautiful, and reckless actress Sarah Bernhardt and his wife, the independent and sublime poet Delphine Daffis, who refused to ever leave Monte Carlo.” Reviewers are all writing about Kelby’s rich descriptions of food and describe the novel as “beautifully layered, “seductive,” and “evocative.”

N. M. Kelby is the critically acclaimed author of In the Company of Angels, Whale Season, and the Florida Book Award winner A Travel Guide for Reckless Hearts, among others. She lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Read more about Kelby and her work by visiting the author’s website.

Pantheon Books sent me a copy of The Forgotten Affairs of Youth by Alexander McCall Smith (slated for release this week) which is the 8th book in the Isabel Dalhousie series. In this latest novel, Isabel and her fiancé help Jane Cooper, a visiting Australian philosopher on sabbatical in Edinburgh, find her biological father. The book asks: “Should the forgotten affairs of youth be left in the past, or can the memories help us understand the present?” and along the way Isabel leads readers to a new understanding of the meaning of family.

Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the beloved bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, the 44 Scotland Street series, and the Corduroy Mansions series. He is also the author of numerous children’s books. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh and has served on many national and international organizations concerned with bioethics. He was born in what is now known as Zimbabwe and taught law at the University of Botswana. He lives in Scotland. Learn more about Smith by visiting the author’s website.

Did any fantastic books arrive at YOUR house this week?

• Mystica on December 4, 2011 at 23:25

Nice books. Enjoy the week.

• JannyAn on December 4, 2011 at 23:57

You’re reading a lot. And since you received a book about truffles I think you like cooking as well.

• Sam on December 5, 2011 at 03:20

Love the sound of the truffles book – yum!

• Harvee on December 5, 2011 at 04:00

These two books are on my wish list! Congrats on getting them.

• zibilee on December 5, 2011 at 05:19

Both of these books look fantastic! I can’t wait to see what you think! Great mailbox today!

1. White Truffles in Winter sounds fascinating. I’ll be watching for your review.

• Anne on December 5, 2011 at 06:30

I love books about food. The descriptions of food are always so much fun to read about!

• Wendy on December 5, 2011 at 08:21

Thanks Mystica 🙂

JannyAn: Yes on both counts!

Sam: I agree!

Harvee: Thanks – hope you also snag them.

Heather: Thanks 🙂

Kathy: I hope to get to it soon.

Anne: I agree!

2. The truffle book sounds good but I think I would have to have some truffles on hand while I read it. That might not be a bad plan! I hope you enjoy it.

3. They both sound really good, enjoy!

• Mary on December 5, 2011 at 14:28

Both books sound good!

• Kailana on December 5, 2011 at 21:58

Alexander McCall Smith is an author I really want to like but haven’t had a lot of luck with. I really should try starting all over again and see if my opinion has changed.

• Staci on December 6, 2011 at 18:15

I’ve only read the first one in the Smith series but I liked it enjoy your reads!

4. Wow! That Escoffier books looks great. I had no idea he had such a tumultuous personal life. I have a couple of his cookbooks and they are thorough, professional, and mechanical — nothing personal in them.

I’m reading James Beard’s food memoir, Delights and Prejudices and he is always rattling on about Escoffier. That puts me in the mood to track this one down.