Summer Sampler Quilt COMPLETED!

*All photos in this post are “clickable” to enjoy a larger view”

Do you remember this quilt? I started it last summer as a quilt-along. I quickly pieced the top, but it took me until now to get it pinned and quilted. One of the big things I learned making this quilt was how to paper piece – a technique which always felt intimidating to me, but turned out to be a lot of fun and results in very exact points and seams.

So a little about the quilt…it is 43.5″ X 61″ – a smallish lap size. I used Sandi Henderson’s beautiful Meadowsweet line for most of the fabrics and sashed the quilt with a Kona cotton gray solid. I added cornerstones in the sashing to give it a little bit of pop.

The back is pieced using solids and more of Meadowsweet. I crafted a mariner’s compass block from a free download and placed it in the center of the back.

The labels are hand embroidered and positioned off center on the left and right just above the mariner’s compass block.

Choosing a binding was a bit of a process. I ended up choosing a wavy, almost-stripe from Amy Butler’s Midwest Modern line of fabric. I think it compliments the quilt well.

The quilting is mostly straight lines in the sashing, but I also quilted around each block and did a little bit of outlining of some of the block features.

All in all, this was a fun quilt to make and I am really happy with the playfulness of the color scheme. It feels summery to me!

1. It’s gorgeous!

• Tui on February 13, 2012 at 14:27

Hugging you across the entire continent in sheer delight over this one, Wendy! What a happy quilt this is!

2. I don’t even know where to begin. Incredible. Congratulations, dear Wendy. I am thinking of you.

3. Beautiful!! It certainly makes me smile, which is exactly how I’d feel if it were summer. Enough of this snow!

Love the mariner’s compass block and the gray border. Have you ever considered selling any of your quilts on etsy? You might have a buyer in Nebraska! 🙂

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 18:26

Les: I thought about selling my quilts – but, honestly, the cost of fabric and the time it takes to make these…I don’t think I could charge enough to make it worthwhile. I tend to give away a lot of my quilts 🙂

4. This is simply stunning! I love the design and the colors are amazing. They pop right off the screen!

• Serena on February 14, 2012 at 05:43

Congrats on finishing this quilt…its gorgeous

• zibilee on February 14, 2012 at 07:41

You did such a beautiful job! I love the colors and the detail! Such a gorgeous quilt you made. I am beyond impressed!

• Trish on February 14, 2012 at 11:07

Oh Wendy!! It’s absolutely gorgeous! Are the blocks 12″ finished? I’m “doing” her Star Sampler right now (by “doing” I mean keeping the posts unread in Google Reader until I can find the time to actual cut and sew). I think she’s only doing 5 stars so I’ll probably use a few of these as filler. I LOVE the Mariner’s Block on the back. How did the paper piecing go for you? I haven’t tried yet…but will!!! 😉

Just beautiful.

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 18:28

Thanks, Trish – I think they are closer to 15″ finished. I don’t remember now and I have the quilt all folded up and I’m too lazy to go get it *laughs* The tutorials for these are so well written – I’ve saved her Star Sampler tutorials…might end up doing that at some point 🙂 Paper piecing is really simple -honestly. I loved it!

• Julie on February 14, 2012 at 12:01

It looks really amazing! I wish I ever could do something like that. You’re really talented, it’s totally beautiful! Bigup, you’ve done a great job!

5. That is a gorgeous quilt! I love the colors, so bright and cheery!

• Sand on February 14, 2012 at 18:29

Beautiful!

• Helen D. Brown on February 14, 2012 at 20:20

Wow! It’s a work of art in my point of view 🙂 I love it! Are you selling this things?

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 18:29

Helen: I don’t sell my quilts – mostly I give them away to friends and family and I keep others for myself. I’m not at a point where I think I want to make quilts to sell.

• Kailana on February 14, 2012 at 20:40

so pretty! I love quilts. I need to make one of my own!

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 18:30

Thanks to EVERYONE who stopped by and had such nice things to say about this quilt…I’m terribly flattered!!!

• Suri on December 24, 2012 at 08:46

Do you quilt each block and put them together once all blocks are done or do you quilted them with all the 3 layers?