Rockin’ Robin Quilt – Pure Bliss

All Photos are “clickable” to enjoy a larger view.

Last night I completed quilting, binding and putting a label on my Rockin’ Robin Quilt which I started last year as part of a fantastic quilt-along hosted by Jen at Reanna Lily Designs, Anne Marie at Gen X Quilters, Heather and Megan from Quilt Story, Melissa at Lilac Lane, and Lisa Marie at That Crazy Quilty Girl (you should check out their blogs – they are very talented quilters!). If you want to make a quilt like this, you can get the links to the tutorials by checking out the quilt along post.

In case you are wondering about the name of this quilt, here is what Jen wrote:

This concept was a Row Robin.  Do you know what a Row Robin is?  It is a quilt made in, usually, horizontal rows and each row is a different style or type.  Many times ladies would pass the quilt along to the next person in the group and add a row.  The quilt would continue to be passed around until it arrived back to the original owner- with all sorts of surprises- from fabric, to design, to technique.  It is really a neat idea.  Round Robin quilts are done this way, around a center medallion quilt.

So using this idea as the jumping off point I thought-

1. Let’s make sure the rows are modern and hip.
  2. Let’s have the quilter be able to customize the row or quilt size.
  3. Let’s do our own sewing, so we’re certain the pieces/colors will be pleasing at the end.

Pretty cool, huh?

So let me tell you a little about my quilt.

This is a 58″ X 58″ lap quilt. I used Bonnie and Camille’s Bliss fabric as the primary fabric, although there are also some other fabric lines represented too. I wanted the quilt to be completely reversible and so I pieced the back using left over blocks from the front.

I decided to free motion quilt this one using a meandering stipple design.

This quilt has a really fresh feel to it with all the white and the pops of red and turquoise.

I hand embroidered the label and then decided to make it part of a house which I then stitched onto the back. I like how the label blends in with the rest of the design.

Finally I used a deep, Kona red solid for the binding.

I can’t wait for the summer weather when I can drape this quilt over the porch swing and use it when the nights are cool!

• Staci on February 25, 2012 at 15:25

Your quilt is a work of art!! I love it so much and am in awe of your pure talent!

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 17:51

Aw, thanks, Staci!

1. It’s just gorgeous!

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 17:51

Thanks, Kathy!!

• Kailana on February 25, 2012 at 20:02

This is awesome! You are obviously very talented!

• Wendy on February 25, 2012 at 20:07

Aw, thanks Kailana – you are too kind!

• Molly on February 25, 2012 at 21:30

Beautiful colors – and workmanship!

I am in love with quilt fabrics, but the sewing frustrates me. I seem to rip out everything at least once 🙁

• Wendy on February 26, 2012 at 11:15

Thanks, Molly – here is the thing about sewing…it cannot be perfect 🙂 I try not to rip out seams…sometimes the mistakes are the best part of a quilt even though you don’t realize it at the time. I highly recommend reading the book Liberated Quilting by Gwen Marston…she talks about sewing as play and I like to think of it that way.

2. This is a gorgeous quilt. I love the colors, especially that Kona red binding.

• Wendy on February 26, 2012 at 11:16

Thank you Kathleen! I love the red, too. I don’t use solids too much for binding, but this quilt seemed to call out for it.

3. That turned out awesome! And I love that it is reversible.

• Wendy on February 26, 2012 at 11:16

Thanks, Jen – I love the reversible aspect too. I try to make most of my quilt backs as pretty as the fronts…it takes extra time, but it is so worth it, in my opinion!

• Melanie on February 26, 2012 at 06:33

OMG! It’s stunning.

• Wendy on February 26, 2012 at 11:17

Melanie – thank you! You are making me blush 🙂

4. Wow-great quilt!! I love how you mixed up all the rows and completely made this your own. Love it!!

• Wendy on February 26, 2012 at 20:23

Thank you for hosting this quiltalong, Anne Marie!! And thanks for the compliments on my quilt. The really fun part of this was being able to “make it our own”…so many of the participants came up with wonderful designs using the blocks!

• Anna on February 27, 2012 at 06:06

It’s so beautiful! You’re very talented!

• Wendy on February 27, 2012 at 08:08

Thanks, Anna 🙂

5. I love your quilt. My business name is Rockin’ Robin Quilts! May I share a picture from here on my blog (giving full credit to your blog, of course!)

• Wendy on March 2, 2012 at 17:16

Robin K: Thank you! I would be honored to have you share a photo of my quilt (with link back here)! Please let me know when you’ve posted it 🙂

• Trish on March 5, 2012 at 11:17

I love it I love it I love it!! Love the colors–love the white negative space–love the little bits of color you’ve added to the negative space–love the red binding–love!! Gorgeous work Wendy. Now go curl up and enjoy.

• Wendy on March 5, 2012 at 17:39

Thanks, Trish! It was fun to make a quilt with so much white 🙂

6. Sold! Oh, wait. These aren’t for sale. 🙁 I’d buy it in a heartbeat, if it were. Love that Kona red!

Aloha, from rainy Kauai!