Spam, Spam, Go Away!

For some reason, the level of spam comments has more than quadrupled in the last couple of weeks. I have a great spam filter and so very, very rarely does anything sneak through. BUT, here is the thing – sometimes my filter is over-diligent and legitimate comments end up in the Spam heap. Because of that, I have always routinely checked my spam file on the blog before deleting it.

I don’t think I can do it anymore.

Every morning I open my spam filter and find hundreds of comments there.

Really.

Hundreds.

In just 24 hours.

Pages and pages that I am scanning to be sure a legitimate comment has not ended up there.

It is distressing.

I hope you will forgive me if I stop scanning those comments and just hit the delete button.

IF you are a legitimate commenter and your comment does not appear on the blog, please email me (my email address here is caribousmom (at) gmail (dot) com) and I will go look for your comment and publish it. I do have moderation in effect for first time commenters so there could be a day delay in seeing your comment published if you are new here. Also, if you include more than one link in your comment, it will automatically go to moderation. Otherwise, your comment should appear immediately.

Thanks for your patience!

And I’m curious – has anyone else noticed a big increase in spam comments lately?

1. I go through waves…where there is tons of spam and the there is none…so I think it just depends on where the spam bots are lurking these days.

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:23

You’re probably right, Serena. Seems like for awhile there it wasn’t so bad…then suddenly, I was inundated!

2. There is definitely more spam right now and it is very frustrating.

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:23

I don’t really understand WHY they do this. Like I said in my post, most of the time the comment never gets published, so what is the point other than to annoy the crap out of us?

3. That’s awful, 100s of spam comments! I hardly get any. Well, between 4 and 10 per day, I think. I’m on WordPress, not sure if that makes a difference.

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:24

Judith: I would love it if I only got 4 to 10 a day!

4. All wordpress blogs think I’m a spammer!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever the problem is I wish someone would fix it!! 😀

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:25

LOL, Staci. Your comments always make it onto my blog, I think 🙂

5. I hope that stops soon. That would annoy me! I hate to jinx myself, but things have been pretty good on my blog. I am with Blogger and I turned the annoying word verification off. So far I haven’t regretted it!

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:25

Kailana: I hate word verification (especially the new one that blogger uses – I can hardly see the letters!). Glad you were able to turn it off.

6. I have noticed a significant increase too!

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:26

Becky: I wonder why….

7. Like sagustocox mine come in waves, but I now receive too many to be able to check the spam folder too. I very rarely found any real comments in my spam, but I still feel bad that one or two might get deleted. I wish we could get rid of it too.

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:27

Jackie: I hardly find any legitimate comments in the spam folder…but every once in awhile, I do (for example, recently an author who guest posted left me a comment and it ended up in spam…so I am glad I caught that one!).

8. I’m getting a lot, too, but not hundreds. I took away the word verification to make things easier on my readers and that’s when I noticed the increase in spam. If it gets out of hand, I may have to go back to using word verification. Sigh.

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:28

Les: I hope you don’t have to go back to word verification – that is such an annoyance. But, I totally understand why bloggers use it. It seems that the spammers are getting a little smarter – some of their comments at first look legit. I hate them!!

9. I haven’t gotten a lot of spam because I have the word verification enabled, but I find that annoying and want to get rid of it. I wonder what the spam will be like if I do!

• Wendy on March 22, 2012 at 06:29

Heather: I have found that the blogger word verification is really hard to read (for me anyway)…sometimes I have to try 3 times before I get it right! Must be my age LOL! But, it sounds like it stops the spammers which is a good thing.

• Athira on March 22, 2012 at 14:54

Goodness, a 100 comments is distressing! I don’t blame you – I try to make it a point to check my gmail spam folder once in a while, and that irritates me, so I can’t imagine doing this on a daily basis.

• Wendy on March 24, 2012 at 07:49

Aths: This morning there were over 200 in there!!! I feel my blood pressure rise every time I see those numbers! I wish they would just stop.

• Sand on March 24, 2012 at 11:25

Wendy, we recently had to employ the same captcha that Google uses — I don’t like it either, but the spam comments had suddenly started eluding our filter by the literal hundreds every day. Like you, I simply don’t have time to go through hundreds of spam comments every day. The sad thing is that though the new captcha has stopped the spammers, it’s also so tedious to try to read that it’s stopping visitors from commenting on our stories.

• Mandy on March 24, 2012 at 16:58

I quit checking my spam comments a while back. I still have some slip through the filter though. I swear I get really tired of seeing comments like this

Name: Ugh Boots

Site: some site that sells stuff

Comment: I like this blog. This blog is very wise. Blog. Blog. Blog.

I do however check my spam email everyday for all of the reasons you mentioned above and I’ve noticed a huge increase in those fake “you’ve just inherited 1 million Euros” emails. Sometimes I feel like answering them…