Bag Mania – Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

A couple of weeks ago my sister, Donna, came for a visit to California and motivated me to try something I have been afraid to try – make a bag!

I purchased a pattern called the “Tahiti Tote” by Pink Sand Beach Designs (they have awesome bag designs). It is 15.5″ wide at the top and 11.5″ tall and 4″ deep. This pattern was touted as “easy” but I would characterize it as advanced beginner. I was very happy to have a powerful machine as there were multiple layers to sew through (including two types of interfaces). I like the bulk of this bag – it stands up by itself as you can see!!

I used some darling fabric from Timeless Treasures as the main fabric and then found some fabric in my stash which coordinated with it.

The front has two pockets – one on top of the other. The top pocket has a zipper, the bottom pocket is just open on the top and would be a great place for me to slip my keys into…

The top closes with a zipper as well.

The inside of this bag is nice and roomy and has a plethora of pockets – six to be exact!

I’m looking forward to using this one all summer long!

1. It is gorgeous and looks much nicer than anything you could buy.

• Wendy on July 14, 2012 at 16:50

Aw thanks, Kathy – you are too kind!

2. It’s adorable! Love it!

• Wendy on July 14, 2012 at 17:41

Thanks, Melissa!!

3. This looks awesome. You have done very well.

This looks like the kind of bag I need to take to my school as I carry a lot of stuff (I teach, you know!!). I am NOT so good with stitching but my mom is very good in that arena! I am showing this to her so that she makes something similar for me! I will post a picture of that if/when she makes one for me!

Hope you don’t mind, I am stealing the pattern!!

• Wendy on July 15, 2012 at 05:30

Not stealing at all, Gautami! You can purchase the pattern through the link I provided at the top of the post 🙂 Glad you like it – it is a good size bag (not huge, but large). I’d love to see yours someday!

• Bekah on July 15, 2012 at 13:11

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!!! Wow! It’s beautiful and looks very practical. Thanks for sharing –

• J.G. on July 17, 2012 at 17:08

Cute, cute, cute! So, when are you opening your bag shop???

• Sheila Galindo on July 26, 2012 at 20:18

I happened to see your Tahiti tote picture on Pink Sand Beach Designs’ Facebook page. You’ve made a lovely bag. I have made all of their bags and they are just about my favorite designers.

4. Super cute Wendy!