Star Friendship Companion Quilt

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger view

It has taken me more than a year, but I finally completed this quilt which is a companion to the one I made for Laura. The basic star blocks are the same in both quilts, but the layout is a bit different. In this quilt, I turned the blocks on point and used large squares of the primary fabric to offset the star blocks. The borders on both quilts are the same scrappy construction although Laura’s quilt has a wider border than mine. The backs are also similar but slightly different. Here are the two quilts side by side First the fronts:

Now the backs:

This companion quilt is a large lap size: 54″ X 64″ using Denyse Schmidt’s amazing Hope Valley collection of fabrics. The white fabric is Kona white.

I free motion quilted this one making loopy, organic stars all over with some pebbling in the half square triangle edges and corners:

The binding is the same raspberry fabric as the back:

I also hand embroidered a label:

I have to say, this is one of my favorites to date. I love Denyse Schmidt’s vintage inspired fabrics against the crisp white…and there is something about blocks on point which makes my heart beat a little faster:

I am also really happy to finally finish this quilt which represents a friendship. I’ll be thinking of you Laura when I snuggle beneath this quilt with a good book in my hands!

**********************************

This quilt counts toward the third quarter of the 2012 Finish Along (visit my pre-quarter post to see all the quilt projects I hope to finish this quarter).

1. What a wonderful quilt!! You are very talented.

• Wendy on July 22, 2012 at 07:07

Aw, thanks Kailana – thanks for your generous comment!

• Laura on July 22, 2012 at 03:28

Wendy, as you know, I love to curl up in it to read (or knit!) in my quilt. In fact, I was featured on “Scene of the Blog” this past week (here), which gave me a chance to show off the quilt!

Yours is absolutely beautiful and the two go together so well — just like you and me! xoxo

• Wendy on July 22, 2012 at 07:08

How did I miss that Scene of the blog??!?! I am so behind in my google reader! Thanks for including the quilt in the feature, Laura – it looks good on that back of that chair!! I’m so glad I finished this one – I love looking at the photo of the two beside each other – the same, but different 🙂 xo

2. You are so talented and your quilts are just gorgeous!

• Wendy on July 22, 2012 at 07:09

Thank you, Kathy!

• pburt on July 22, 2012 at 13:07

Absolutely beautiful! love the colors, especially the raspberry.

3. This one is beautiful, and I love the colors. I particularly love the choices you made with the solid, patterned pieces. Great job!

• J.G. on July 24, 2012 at 02:56

Wow! Your photos show off the details and the beautiful colors perfectly. The dashed border is a charming touch, too. What a gorgeous outcome for your many hours of planning and work.

4. Oh, these are both such beautiful quilts, Wendy! The colors against the crisp white are stunning. Love that raspberry border, too. Lovely work!

5. This is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

• Susan on July 26, 2012 at 19:57

I love the stars and the colours! the big square of fabric – very interesting fabric swatches you put there, it’s an amazing quilt, Wendy. I like how the star points are made from two similar shades of colour, that adds movement to the quilt. I echo Kailana, you really are talented, Wendy. I know, my mother makes quilts also, so I’ve been to a few shows with her and have a couple for my kids she made us.

• Stephanie on August 15, 2012 at 21:59

Wow! Saw your quilt on flickr and had to come here to see how you did it. I was hoping that you had used a pattern so that I could make my own!! Amazing! I really love it 🙂

• Audrey on August 28, 2012 at 07:16

Beautiful, looks like it was difficult and took hours.

• Norma Leabo on August 28, 2012 at 18:37

Is a pattern available for the Star Friendship quilt?

6. I was just viewing your lovely quilt again in flickr and had to come and make sure I comment on your blog. This is one lovely quilt in SO many ways!

• Nicky on December 16, 2012 at 00:06

Just come across this beauty – so lovely I had to check out your blog post!