Good-Bye is Never Easy…

Maia arrived at our home as a stray close to eight years ago … with five kittens. She was a wonderful mommy to her babies and she was gorgeous with her beautiful blue eyes. We found homes for all her kittens (except for Gizmo, who we decided to keep) and welcomed Maia to our family.

Maia was such a happy kitty – she purred all the time, and she loved everyone (even Raven who was often far from gentle with her). She loved her food and she enjoyed sleeping on our bed every night.

Maia did not come without health issues…she nearly died in the first six months we had her from kidney failure, and she was on medication for a thyroid condition. In the last year her health began to deteriorate and she showed signs of dementia along with developing a cough that did not seem to have a good explanation. In the last couple of months she  began to lose weight. Over the weekend, Maia’s health took a major turn for the worse. She was clearly uncomfortable and restless and could not keep her food down. Today, with my vet’s support, I made the very difficult decision to help Maia over the Rainbow Bridge. A heart wrenching decision…but the right one.

R.I.P., Maia – our home will be a little emptier without you.

1. It is such a hard decision, Wendy, but sometimes it’s just the right thing to do. Bless your heart. Sending good thoughts. Maia was a beautiful girl.

• Tui on August 13, 2012 at 13:48

Oh my dear, you know my heart is aching for yours. xo

2. I’m so sorry, Wendy. Maia looks a lot like my Kiki Cat, who died two months ago. I know what you’re going through and feel your pain.

{{{{{ Wendy }}}}}

3. I’m so sorry for your loss and can imagine the pain you’re in. I’m thankful for the years Maia had a good home with you.

4. I’m sorry, Wendy – it is so hard to let go of the furry members of the family.

• Cheryl on August 13, 2012 at 17:26

Aww, so sad! I remember when you first got her. You gave her a wonderful life, as you have with all your animals.

• Gavin on August 13, 2012 at 19:13

So sorry, Wendy. Even when it is the right thing to do it is a hard, hard thing letting go. My thoughts are with you.

5. My heart goes out to you on the loss of your sweet girl.

• Ivy on August 14, 2012 at 04:25

I am so sorry, Wendy. I know how you feel. :`(

• Susan on August 14, 2012 at 04:33

sorry for your loss. oh it’s terrible. she was a beautiful kitty. take some down time

6. I am so sorry. I remember when I lost my cat Romeo, and how awful it felt. I can understand what you are going through, and I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

• Elisabeth on August 14, 2012 at 14:39

My sympathies. I have been in your shoes and it is never easyeven though it is the right thing to do. Hugs!

• pburt on August 14, 2012 at 18:56

My deepest sympathy – even the right decision is hard at there times. May you always have memories of happy and grateful purrs.

7. I’m so sorry for your loss, Wendy. I know how hard it is to lose a furry friend. *Hugs*

• Trish on August 17, 2012 at 09:57

Oh Wendy! I am so sorry about your loss of Maia. It’s hard to make that decision–when we had to put Maggie down I couldn’t even stand to take her to the vet to say goodbye–poor Scott had to take her. I still miss her but know that she’s much more comfortable now. Hoping you find peace and comfort. Hugs.

• J.G. on August 17, 2012 at 16:01

I’m so sorry, Wendy. It’s so hard that in so much of life we have to let go of the beings and things we love. I’m sure you made the right decision.

8. I think I commented on FB, but in case I didn’t, I wanted to say how sorry I am about Maia. Saying goodbye to our pets is so damned hard. I can’t even think about life without my Annie-girl…

Hugs to you, dear Wendy. I’m sure you miss her terribly.