Northern California Fire…

Many of you may by now have seen some news footage of the wildfire which is threatening the community where I live (it has now made national news). The fire is called the Ponderosa Fire and broke out on Saturday morning due to a lightening strike in Manton, CA. It quickly grew and has moved uphill into Shingletown (my town) and Viola (a small mountain community). It is threatening 3000 homes and is currently 12,000 acres in size with only 5% containment.

I’ve been in New Hampshire to see my sister (who is back in chemo as her cancer has recurred) and my dad (who is in Hospice and has been declining medically), but my husband is in California. His parents have been evacuated and are staying at our home with him. So far, our neighborhood has not been threatened (the fire is moving North/Northeast and our home is located about 2.5 miles from the fire’s western flank). I have several friends who have been evacuated at this time and are waiting to see what will happen.

As you can imagine, this is an incredibly stressful time…I’ve been talking to my husband several times a day and following the updates on the fire closely. I am due to return to California on Saturday. Any good thoughts, prayers, etc…are appreciated – I worry about the firefighters battling this inferno in high temperatures, and I am saddened by the the likelihood that people will lose their homes.

This morning I am looking at photos of the fire and am having a hard time putting those together with the beautiful town I left just a few days ago.

• Ivy on August 20, 2012 at 06:04

I am so sorry! That is scary! I hope your home and those of your friends and loved ones endure this and that the fire does not encroach on your homes. Hugs!

• Serena on August 20, 2012 at 06:42

I really hope that things turn for the better with this fire soon.

1. What an amazing amount of things to get thrown at you! I am so sorry about your sister and your dad. We have been threatened by fires as well and even when the fire gets contained the smoke is pretty heavy and oppressive. Sending many hopes and prayers for you!

• Nan on August 20, 2012 at 07:03

I’m so sorry for all you are going through right now. I didn’t know you had family in NH.

2. I’m so sorry Wendy. All my best wishes.

• Susan on August 20, 2012 at 07:55

Ugh Wendy that’s awful. So sorry. Send my best to you and your home. I will keep checking news on the fire and hope conditions can slow it. There needs to be some relief from the heat. I will pray for it and your community. It’s scary. Hang in there

3. I will be praying for you, and for your friends, and will be thinking about you over the next few days. I am hoping for the best for all of you.

4. What a stressful time for you. I’ll be praying for you and your family.

• Bekah on August 20, 2012 at 08:44

Remember that the news footage is always about the worst stuff. Believe your hubby! I cannot imagine the stress you are under right now with family health issues on one side of the country and fires on the other. Prayers –

5. I can only imagine how stressful this is for you ((HUGS)) I really hope the fire is put out soon and that your family gets through all the health problems. My thoughts are with you.

• judith on August 20, 2012 at 12:53

That sounds awful, Wendy! It’s relatively close to your home too. Let’s hope for the best. Good luck in the next few days.

6. My heart is with you! So many excruciatingly painful and stressful events, all at one time! I’m sending you all the strength I can muster, and I hope it hits you where you need it most!

You’re in my thoughts!

Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

7. Yikes Wendy! I’ll send good thoughts your way and hope the wind blows the way it needs to blow to keep the fire away.

• pburt on August 20, 2012 at 17:44

Sending good thoughts your way. Having lived in California and now in Eastern Washington, I know how scary fire season could be. Here is hoping for favorable winds and all the water needed.

• Kay on August 21, 2012 at 03:37

Such a scary time for you and your community. Continuing to keep you and all your loved ones in my prayers for many reasons. Hugs, Wendy.

8. I’m so sorry to hear that you have so much on your plate at this time. Family and home are the most precious gifts and hope all goes well for you and yours.

• Sally from Oz on August 22, 2012 at 03:34

Gosh Wendy – prayers going up from down under for you and your family

• Alyce on August 22, 2012 at 09:58

I had seen some of your posts on Facebook about the fire, but hadn’t realized all of the health issues your family is dealing with at the same time. I’m so sorry to hear that your sister’s cancer has come back.