Kaffe Fassett Blush Quilt

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger view

I am so pleased with this quilt which I bought as a kit (at this on line shop) some time ago and finally got around to making. I have long wanted to make a bed size quilt using all Kaffe Fassett fabrics – not only do I have a wonderful collection of this designer’s books, but I have a healthy stash of his fabrics as well. I decided to purchase a kit because I felt a bit intimidated in putting together these large scale, bright prints…and now that I have actually made this quilt, I think I have a better understanding of how to use Kaffe’s fabrics to their best advantage.

This is a fairly simple quilt – it is essentially 3.5″ squares sewn together to create the gradations of color in the overall pattern. I used my design wall to lay out the pieces before stitching so that I would not make any mistakes!

This quilt is a generous double bed size at 85″ X 85″.

I used left over fabric and picked up some coordinating fabric at a local shop to piece the back which actually took me longer to make than the front! But, I am really pleased with the result which makes the quilt totally reversible.

The quilt is quilted with pink thread using straight lines both vertically and horizontally. I stitched about a 1/4″ on either side of each seam.

I hand embroidered a label using left over scraps of material and perl cotton floss.

The batting is 100% wool which is light and warm and, although it does not make the quilt as crinkly as cotton, it is perfect for those cold nights ahead. I hope this quilt will bring light and color to the short winter days and remind me that spring follows the snow!

*******************************

This quilt counts toward the third quarter of the 2012 Finish Along (visit my pre-quarter post to see all the quilt projects I hope to finish this quarter).

1. aw, this is really really beautiful!

• Tui on September 6, 2012 at 10:29

You just knocked my socks off with this one, Wendy! It’s GORGEOUS!

2. It’s beautiful! I love how Kaffe Fassett’s name crosses over from the knitting world to the quilting world. 🙂

3. It’s beautiful! Looks very cozy too. 🙂

4. I can see why you’re pleased with it – it’s gorgeous!

5. Love it! It’s beautiful!

• Barbara Bartels on September 6, 2012 at 17:02

Another lovely product of your hands. What remarkable hands they must be! I love the colors.

• Lisa on September 6, 2012 at 17:57

That is beautiful, I love it.

• Sand on September 6, 2012 at 18:57

I love it! You’re right, it will be just the thing to brighten overcast winter mornings.

• paula on September 7, 2012 at 13:15

what a breathtakingly beautiful quilt Wendy! I LOVE it!!

• Linda on September 7, 2012 at 22:28

What a fabulous quilt! Kaffe Fassett fabrics and books are so inspiring. I have been fortunate to meet him several times and hear three talks too. But I have never made one of his quilts! Good for you.

• Elisabeth on September 9, 2012 at 05:34

Love your quilt! Couldn’t find the kit on the website, where exactly is it?

• Susan on September 9, 2012 at 11:15

It’s so beautiful! Oh, I love it…. my mother collects Kaffe Fasset books and I think would like to make one one day, if her hands (arthritis) let her. I love the colours in your quilt, that is splendid and beautiful and so warming for a winter’s night.

• Trish on September 9, 2012 at 12:50

It is absolutely STUNNING. And delicious. But mostly stunning.

6. This looks like it belongs on a bed in a little beach cottage in Hawaii. It’s GORGEOUS!!! I love the color combinations. If this were for sale, you’d have yourself a buyer!

BTW, today’s Shelf Awareness mentions Kaffe Fassett’s new book (Dreaming in Color: An Autobiography). He sounds like a fascinating man with an interesting background.

• Susan on September 12, 2012 at 07:01

Pretty quilt! It will keep you happy in the depths of winter

• Michelle on September 16, 2012 at 07:35

Absolutely gorgeous quilt! 🙂

7. OOH I love this – beautiful!