January 1, 2012 – January 31, 2014
It has been a long time since I have jumped into the reading challenge fervor, but I’m feeling like Rose City Reader’s European Reading Challenge will be just the thing to prompt me to read from my stacks this year.
The idea is to read books by European authors or books set in European countries (no matter where the author comes from). The books can be anything – novels, short stories, memoirs, travel guides, cookbooks, biography, poetry, or any other genre. You can participate at different levels, but each book must be by a different author and set in a different country – it’s supposed to be a tour.
The challenge requires readers to choose from the list of 50 sovereign states that fall (at least partially) within the geographic territory of the continent of Europe and/or enjoy membership in international European organizations such as the Council of Europe: These include: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.
I’m committing to the top level for this challenge which is the Five Star (Deluxe Entourage): Read at least five books by different European authors or books set in different European countries. I’ll be listing my books below as I read them, and I will also highlight the country in red in the list above.
- The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (United Kingdom) – Completed January 8, 2013; rated 4/5; read my review.
- All Our Worldly Goods by Irene Nemirovsky (France) – Completed January 12, 2013; rated 4/5; read my review.
- The Mussel Feast by Birgit Vanderbeke, translated from the German by Jamie Bulloch (Germany) – Completed February 23, 2013; rated 4.5/5; read my review.
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra (Russia) – Completed May 1, 2013; rated 5/5; read my review.
- The Dinner by Herman Koch (Netherlands) – Completed June 21, 2013; rated 4/5; read my review.
- Mr. Darwin’s Gardener by Kristina Carlson (Finland) – Completed June 29, 2013; rated 5/5; read my review.