It has been a long time since I’ve posted a dedicated post about books! Have you missed these?
The other day I sifted through my recent unread book stacks and pulled out several I’d like to read this month. Now, it is unlikely I will get through ALL of these…but I will give it the good ole’ college try!
My current read is Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan (2006 Ballantine Books Trade Paperback Edition) which I am reading for my online book club. I’ve enjoyed Tan’s writing in the past (check out my review of The Hundred Secret Senses which I loved) and I am really liking this novel which is narrated by a dead woman. You have to be an excellent writer to pull that off! And Amy Tan is a wonderful storyteller. Stay tuned for a review by the first of next week.
I also need to read The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd for my book club. I’ve been seeing a lot of great reviews and comments about this one, so it is a novel I am looking forward to on multiple levels. Have you read this book? If so, what did you think?
Also in the stacks this month are Peirene Press’s latest novella – The Dead Lake by Hamid Ismailov (translated from the Russian by Andrew Bromfield) as well as a novella by Meike Ziervogel (the editor of Peirene Press) titled Magda. I don’t know why I haven’t read these yet…but I am determined to do so soon.
Other possibilities for this month include:
- Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts (G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2013)
- Ruby by Cynthia Bond (Hogarth, 2014)
- A Fairy Tale by Jonas T. Bengtsson and translated from the Danish by Charlotte Barslund (Other Press, 2014)
- When the Cypress Whispers by Yvette Manessis Corporon (Harper, 2014)
- Byrd by Kim Church (Dzanc Books, 2014)
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation for Animals by Susan E. Davis, PT (JoyCare Media, 2013)
Have you read any of these? What did you think?