Sweet Sixteen – A Traditional Quilt for Mom

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger viewSweetSixteen.front010001My mom has long desired a quilt for her bed and so my sister, Paula, and I decided to make her one for Christmas.

SweetSixteen.Draped010001My mother is a bit of a traditionalist and loves the colors of china blue and rose/raspberry. This quilt used a Jelly roll and a Charm pack of LeBouquet Francais by French General for Moda, plus Bella bleached white PFD for the solid squares. We mostly followed the pattern for Sweet Sixteen in the book Antique to Heirloom Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott…but added a scrappy border to increase the size slightly.

SweetSixteen.Binding0001At 75″ square this quilt fits perfectly on my mother’s double bed.

SweetSixteen.MomsbedFor the back, Paula and I chose a large cut of one of the blue patterned fabrics from the French General collection.

SweetSixteen.BackReveal020001We used a lightweight Tuscany 100% batting and I free motion quilted it with loops, spirals and stippling. We decided to keep the quilting tight because of all the negative space…so this is a really wrinkly quilt but is quite soft and drapey due to the batting used.

SweetSixteen.QuiltDetail0001

SweetSixteen.frontCloseUp010001
The quilt is bound with a solid red – again from the French General collection. And the label is machine embroidered and then hand stitched to the back of the quilt.

SweetSixteen.Label020001I think this one is one of my favorite quilts ever. I loved collaborating and sewing with my sister to make a super special quilt!

SweetSixteen.Folded0001

• Tui on January 5, 2015 at 10:29

I love this one to bits, Wendy (and Paula!). The French General patterns are charming–think I have a few in my stash–but the finished project is a knockout. It looks SO good on your mom’s bed. And gosh I’d love to be able to do those machine embroidered lables!

1. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing your photos!

• Kay on January 5, 2015 at 11:18

Gorgeous! She will treasure it always!

2. I’m sure your mom was thrilled with that gorgeous gift!

• Bev Kibby on January 5, 2015 at 15:51

This is a truly gorgeous and memorable quilt Wendy and Paula. I know your mother is thrilled and will treasure it always. I can’t wait to see it.

• cathie on January 5, 2015 at 16:02

This came out so pretty. I am sure she loves it and thinks of both of you when she looks at it.

• Lu on January 6, 2015 at 17:14

Oh this is just beautiful!! I love that you collaborated with your sister. So cool! I’m sure your mom just loves it.

• Barbara Ward on January 20, 2015 at 13:04

I can’t believe that it has taken me so long to check out your blog, Wendy! You know how much I treasure this wonderful, beautiful gift, as I have told you so….. many times!! But I am thrilled to see it all written up on yur blog, and will now forward it to friends! You and Paula deserve to be bragged about! What a tremendous undertaking. I love the tight quilting as it is not only gorgeous, but allows the quilt to lie perfectly flat and adds to the feeling of lightness. I am sleeping so well curled up under it every night. Many hugs and kisses to you both for a once in a lifetime gift.
    All my love, Mom

• Debbie Farley on January 20, 2015 at 13:48

Your Mom just sent me the link to this blog. I was her dental hygienist for close to 30 years and your Dads also. She has shared with me your journey and I am honored that she shares with me. Your quilt is gorgeous and I know that she LOVES it, not only for it’s beauty but also for the fact that you made it.
    She may have told you that I quilt also, my joy. So glad she shared with me.

• Pat Olson on January 20, 2015 at 16:37

What a beautiful, thoughtful heirloom you’ve made for your Mother. I can appreciate the many hours of love in every stitch. God bless you both.

• Florence bartlett on February 1, 2015 at 13:59

A really wonderful gift straight from the heart.