Monthly Archives: August 2015

Bee Blocks

I thought it was about time I updated you on my progress in the Bee Groups. I am a member of two bees: Thread Divas (a group of friends from Threadbias) and the charity bee Do Good Stitches – Cheer Circle.

So let’s start with the Thread Divas…

February:
Carol requested a Susannah block (tutorial is here) using teal and olive green with Kona white. I was happy to find some fabric in my scrap bin which seemed to fit the bill!

ThreadDivas2015.February0001March:
Margaret chose a paper pieced block (tutorial is here) and wanted bright colors. The name of this one is Miss Molly’s Garden Block.

ThreadDivas2015.March0001April:
Karen wanted wonky stars using crayon box colors! This one was so fun to do (tutorial is here).

ThreadDivas2015.April0001May:
Audrey chose the Weather Vane block which  used tone on tone black/gray and Kona white…along with some bright colorways to make it pop. I had so much fun making this one that I made two.

ThreadDivas2015.May.Orange0001

ThreadDivas2015.May.Fushia0001June:
June was my month…and I selected some fun flying geese blocks – I’m showing you the ones I made (with a possible layout) – but I got some AWESOME blocks. Can’t wait to get this top pieced.

ThreadDivas2015.June30001July:
Belinda requested a wonky house – she provided us with some links for patterns and I chose this one for my house.

ThreadDivas2015.Belinda0001August:
Marsha requested geese flying northeast with graduated tones of gray and a main color. I decided on Orange as my scraps and stash have a lot of choices in that color.

Divas2015.August0001DoGoodStitchesblogbuttonThe Do Good Stitches group is a charity bee – our blocks are made into quilts which are then donated to children in need.  Each month I make 2 blocks and donate them to the group to make a quilt.

January:
Brandy was our quilter for January and she requested three blocks of “rugby stripes” using this tutorial. She wanted bright fabrics…and I thought Kaffe Fassett fit the bill. I used some strips from one of my hand made Jelly Rolls to create my blocks which measure 7.5 X 14.5.

DoGoodStitches.Jan20150001February:
Mary asked for Stashbuster blocks. They used very tiny squares…but they were pretty fun to make!

DoGoodStitches2015.FebruaryMarch:
In March I was in New Hampshire taking care of my sister…and my bee group offered to make my blocks for me. Thank you!!!

April:
Amber asked for some modern style log cabin blocks – one using cool colors, the other using warm colors.

DoGoodStitches2015.April0001May:
Sarah is planning to make a postage stamp quilt and asked for low volume and jewel prints (these blocks use 2.5″ squares and finish at 12.5″ square.

DoGoodStitches.May20150001June:
We had this month off 🙂

July:
Brandy requested low volume geese in a circle using a white background. She wanted us to piece the four quadrants for one block and leave the quadrants for the second block unpieced.

DoGoodStitches.July20150001DoGoodStitches.July2015.020001Both of these groups continue through to the end of the year…so I’ll update you again then!

The Sweet Life in PB&J

 

*Click on any photo in this post to enjoy a larger viewSweetLifeinPBJ.Front010001

I finished the top for this quilt nearly 2 years ago when I was sewing along from the Simply Retro book by Camille Roskelley (awesome book by the way). And then it sat waiting for me to quilt it. At 92″ x 92″ it is a good size bed quilt and perhaps this is why it took so long for me to gear up for the quilting part.

SweetLifeinPBJ.DrapedOnSwing0001I used a fat quarter bundle of PB&J by Basic Grey for Moda which I won in a giveaway at the Fat Quarter Shop. The blocks came together really fast because they are large (18″ X 18″). I especially like the little pieced cornerstones in this quilt as it gives it a little bit of an old fashioned feel even though the fabrics are modern.

SweetLifeinPBJ.FrontCloseup010001I used a continuous stipple-like pattern of quilting which I kept fairly tight. I found the perfect gray-green color of Aurifil which picked up the sashing tones really well and blended nicely on the back.

SweetLifeinPBJ.QuiltingDetail0001Speaking of the back, because the blocks in this quilt were so large, my leftover scraps from the flip and stitch portions of each block were big enough to piece a bunch of pinwheels for the top of the back (I like to do something special on the top backs of my bed quilts so when the quilt is folded down you see a design). I used a bit of Bella Bleached white and some Bella Teal for the rest of the back to keep it simple and let the pinwheels take center stage.

SweetLifeinPBJ.BackDetail0001

SweetLifeinPBJ.Back010001

SweetLifeinPBJ.OverRailBackReveal0001I used a pre-printed label from Sweetwater – again, keeping it simple.

SweetLifeinPBJ.Label0001And added a little scrappiness to the binding.

SweetLifeinPBJ.Binding0001I am so happy to have this one done. I can’t wait to get it on my bed.

SweetLifeinPBJ.BackReveal.010001SweetLifeinPBJ.DrapedOnSwing020001SweetLifeinPBJ.Folded0001